lunes, 22 de octubre de 2018

A finding place

Dear Students,

Today I thought I'd share this quotation with you to thank you for all those wonderful poems you've written. Some have been published already, others are about to be published. They've all been a pleasure to read.

Soon I'll let you know what the next challenge is going to be. Read the drama excerpts and start getting ready for it!

In the meantime, enjoy Jeanette Winterson's words on poetry.

All the best,

Carolina




      So when people say that poetry is a luxury, or an option, or for the educated middle classes, or that it shoudln't be read at school because it is irrelevant, or any of the strange and stupid things that are said about poetry and its place in our lives, I suspect that the people doing the saying have had things pretty easy. A tough life needs a touch language -- and that is what poetry is. That is what literature offers -- a language powerful enough to say how it is.
      It isn't a hiding place. It is a finding place.

(Jeanette Winterson, Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal? London: Vintage Books, 2011, p. 40)





2 comentarios:

  1. I have the theory that asking a writer why he writes is like asking anyone why he breathes. To some people, writing is not only sitting in front of a desk and starting to move its pen on the paper or its fingers in the keyboard. Is crying, screaming, laughing... But, paradoxically, with words.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I totally agree with you. Writing, for me, is a form of going into a trance... Something very physical, as you put it. Though it also requires mental strenth, and hard word. But I especially enjoy the "trance" part myself...

    ResponderEliminar